Issue 14 of The NEWS — January 2011

Comments: 0

Issue 14 The News January 2011

Next Meeting 31st January Special DLA Meeting 8 Feb

Welcome to our first Newsletter of 2011.

A very belated Happy New, Year to you all. As you know our November meeting was cancelled because of the snow.

Our next meeting is at 2pm to 4:30 at Wherry Way community Hall Caister Road GT. Yarmouth on 31 January.

We have invited Jason from the NHS to come and explain about the new NHS Summary Care Records systems, for our next meeting. We also have Penny Leggett from Yare Care Alarms to come and speak with us about assistive technology that could help us in our homes. Mark Smith from NNAB will be along to inform about the social and leisure events that we could get involved with the NNAB.

If you need Free transport please call Town and Country on 01493 301759 and invoice to our group. PTO

Disability Living Allowance is under review by Government.

There is a public consultation taking place at the moment.

The end date for this review is February 14.

The Disability Forum is staging a public event where you will have the opportunity to take part and have your say. The notes of the meeting will be sent to the DWP to form part of the consultation.

You can telephone:

02074497688 or email: consultation.dlareform@dwp.gsi.gov.uk

For a copy in large print, audio or Braille. I have two copies of Braille and two large print call me 07990998845, it is a mobile I will call you back.

The meeting is at Christchurch on 8th February 2pm-4pm. Transport will be available from Town and Country Taxis free of charge just quote VIP User Group, call 01493 301759.

The Big Conversation

Many of us have taken part in the Norfolk County Council’s Big Conversation. Many of us took part in the meetings in Great Yarmouth. Indeed there have been many correspondents from our group. We suggested a phone line put in place and indeed it was.

I went to County Hall on 19 January for a debate hosted by NCODP. At this meeting we heard the views of the 5 county councillors. This was a lively debate.

It was announced that Sensory Support would be able to continue, so be it with half their budget cut. There were other important factors discussed that will effect everyone. We will do our best to keep you informed.

Good News

We have received the second half of our Small Grants NHS funding. We are grateful for this and appreciate the help that we have from Helen, Nelly and all at Voluntary Norfolk.

Penny has been working very hard over the last few years to get the specifications changed for Scaffolding demarcation from red and White to Black and Yellow.

The scaffold companies are made aware of the changes and allowed to gear up for them.

It is intended to be fully implemented by the new procedure for the 1 April 2011.

This has been confirmed by

Clive Derry Senior Engineer (Network Management) Environment, Transport and Development Norfolk County Council. We would like to pass our thanks on to Penny, RNIB, Tony Wright and Brandon Lewis M.P. who is still pursuing the situation to get the recommendation nationwide.

Grapevine celebrated their 30th birthday on 16 January. Some of us attended their birthday lunch at the Burlington Hotel. Congratulations to all at Grapevine.

We look forward to seeing you at our meetings soon. David Chairman@GYVIPUserGroup.org.uk call 07990998845

Vice Chair Shaun 01493602272

Secretary Penny 01493721167

pennycox24@tiscali.co.uk

Shaun McGarry, Vice Chairman

Great Yarmouth VIP User Group

01493 60 22 72 — 07 985 916 244

vicechair@gyvipusergroup.org.uk

http://www.gyvipusergroup.org.uk/ www.gyvipusergroup.org.uk

*** Achieving Respect and Understanding for Visually Impaired People ***

Comments

There are no comments. Make a Comment »

RSS feed for comments on this post.

Your Feedback

You must be logged in to post comments.